Home > Trip Reports > MAy 16-18, 2008, Boulder Pass, Dakobed Range

MAy 16-18, 2008, Boulder Pass, Dakobed Range

5/16/08
Posted by ryanl on 5/20/08 5:30pm
In an effort to test our various sun-blocking creams, hats, and clothes, Monika and I headed east of the crest last Thursday evening for a trip into the Dakobed Range. We left from Tall Timber Ranch a little before daybreak on Friday with 4 days of supplies and itineraries for whatever conditions we found.  Relatively cold weather and skinable snow down to 2300' had us pretty excited as we made our way up to Boulder Pass via the White River trail. But by 11:30 the expected high temperatures had arrived and our itinerary took a conservative shape. We camped at 4800, just beneath Boulder Pass.

Day 2

Our plan was to climb over a col on Clark's S.E. Peak, gain the Walrus Glacier, and traverse westward towards Tenpeak and Glacier. Against our better judgment we slept in on Saturday and were heading up towards Clark by 5.  By 5:30 we were met with intermittent gusts of hot air. At times it felt like we were under one of those outdoor heaters you find at restaurants.

photo: Monika

The sun had already done its damage by the time we reached the base of the col, so we poked our heads about and tried to find an alternate way onto the Walrus. When nothing hit our fancy we decided to cut our losses and ski back the way we had come up.

photo:Monika

We refreshed ourselves at the bottom and headed up to Boulder Pass in ever increasing heat. We heard later that temperatures around Lake Wenatchee on Saturday reached  95 degress, and that the lake itself rose a foot. From Boulder Pass the route onto the Walrus was thru and below sun exposed death slurpee slush, so we made camp at the Pass in the early afternoon and tried to cook ourselves under the shade of my mega-light.

Day 3

On sunday we were on the move by 3:30, and very easy travel had us on the Walrus in short time. But again, neither of us were thrilled by the snow. Just like Jason reported on Rainer, we could push our ski poles down into the slush as deeply as we liked.  At 6:30 we called it and pulled our skins. Just didn't feel right.

Tenpeak will be yours this year, I'm sure. You'll be back. Conditions will be great soon.

Thanks for the report :)

Thanks for the report Ryan.  You will ski the couloir one of these days and I praise your efforts. 

hard to imagine all the sunshine last weekend with this weekend's forecast !
Thanks for super fun time even though we did little of the possible itineraries given the sluff and cravasse danger.    :D 8)

fyi ~ that White River road melted out enough while we were out that if you had a chain saw, could now drive within 1.5 miles of the TH instead of the 3+.    Certainly more snow in there than the Icicle creek area.  Definitely would like to go back to do that Dakobed traverse.

did ya'all know Dakobed is the native american name for Glacier peak...

author=Monika link=topic=10138.msg40768#msg40768 date=1211513189]

hard to imagine all the sunshine last weekend with this weekend's forecast !
Thanks for super fun time even though we did little of the possible itineraries given the sluff and cravasse danger.    :D 8)

fyi ~ that White River road melted out enough while we were out that if you had a chain saw, could now drive within 1.5 miles of the TH instead of the 3+.    Certainly more snow in there than the Icicle creek area.   Definitely would like to go back to do that Dakobed traverse.

did ya'all know Dakobed is the native american name for Glacier peak...

TobyT told me that -- great name...

Reply to this TR

may-16-18-2008-boulder-pass-dakobed-range
ryanl
2008-05-21 00:30:15