Home > Trip Reports > May 15-17, 2008, Hurricane Ridge to Royal Basin High Route

May 15-17, 2008, Hurricane Ridge to Royal Basin High Route

5/15/08
WA Olympics
Posted by hipystix on 5/19/08 3:03pm
Seeing the good weather coming last weekend it seemed like a good opportunity to try for an Olympics traverse. So amazingly enough I managed to talk Mary into trying a trip that I've been thinking about for a while now. Over the years I've hiked much of this trip and often wanted to be skiing over the rock and talus rather than picking my way down some ridge or scree slope.

On Wednesday evening we headed out of Olympia for the Upper Dungeness trailhead to begin the car shuttle. I had NPS info that said the road was blocked by endless snow four miles from the trailhead but we had our doubts about the "endless" part. So with some surprise we found a significant snow patch at exactly 4 miles from the Dungeness TH. Fortunately we were able to drive the 4runner through the snow section and proceed all the way to the TH. An hour of walking brought us back to Mary's car before sunset.

The next morning we arrived at Hurricane ridge and started skiing the Obstruction peak road. From the end of the road we skied the ridge south about a mile and then headed down into Grand Valley. About this time the predicted heat started to show but fortunately never lasted too long. Northerly and easterly breezes tended to blow through (sometimes too strong) and generally kept us cool for the whole trip. Skinning also turned out to not be much of a problem. For most of the trip the skis didn't penetrate more than two inches. (max was about 4" to 5", but not for long). So on the night of the 15th we camped at a small pass near Grand Pass looking out towards McCartney Peak.

Moose Lake in Grand Valley

Once the Sat morning coffee had done its magic we descended softening snow to the Lillian river headwaters, then ascended up the remnant Lillian Glacier to peak 6729'. From there we found no easy way down the other side and were forced to ski the sloppy SE side 500' and then ascend back to the ridge. That portion was about the only part of the trip that had much exposure to wet snow slides from above. Once back on the ridge we continued on around the south side of Cameron Pass, staying mostly at 6300'.

We then descended some toward Lost Basin and ascended again below the Mount Cameron peaks to peak 6956'. From this peak we had probably the best descent down the easterly facing Cameron Glaciers. However no good descent goes unpunished and it was "skins on" time again. So we headed up to the ridge above Cedar lake and dropped down once more. Another "skins on" time, 600 feet up, and it was time for a camp on the bench below peak 7060' near Gray Wolf pass.

East Cameron Glaciers

By mid morning Sunday we had toured easy contours into the basin containing the Deception Glacier. We had both summited Deception before but decided to skin up the glacier and take a look at the climbers route from Royal basin on the off chance we could ski it. Turned out to be too steep and sloppy looking for us (especially with packs). So that was an easy decision and the Deception Glacier was a nice ski for sure. At the bottom skins came out again and we climbed to the pass near peak 7070', then skied down the unnamed glacier on the north side to near the bottom of Surprise Pass. We then started up toward Surprise on skins but soon switched to boots and post holed up thinning snow to the partially snow free pass. After a short break at the pass a small batch of rock came down from Mt Clark so we took that as our cue to head down Surprise Basin and then out to the meadows near Royal Lake.

Deception Glacier

The seven miles out from Royal Basin to the car began with about a mile or two of trail skiing but around 4600' the snow became patchy and we put the skis away. At 3500' the trail was essentially snow free the rest of the way to the Dungeness trail head.

We made that last day a rather long one but still arrived at the Dungeness TH before dark; must have been the thought of beer and sandals that kept us going, and now that my feet are feeling better, I'm ready for another great Olympics trip :). Thanks again Mary for going!
Right on Erik, was this the trip you were talking about at White? If so, way to go. I really need to get into that area one of these days.

Nice to see pics and story from you. Awesome.

Really nice.

That's the area I'd most like to ski in the Olympics. Your exit via Royal Basin is probably more logical than the way I was thinking, which was to continue to Constance Pass and come out the Dosewallips.

Great trip!

Thank you for the report and all of the great pictures. I am excited to finally get back out there at the end of the month.

As a lover of remote, out of the ordinary, one-way/loop trips, that is an envious trip.  Thanks for sharing the trip and great pics.

Thanks for the inspiring TR and pix. After backpacking in that area last summer I want to go back and ski it; it's great to hear someone was out there doing it this spring.

author=Lowell_Skoog link=topic=10132.msg40676#msg40676 date=1211295378]
Really nice.

That's the area I'd most like to ski in the Olympics. Your exit via Royal Basin is probably more logical than the way I was thinking, which was to continue to Constance Pass and come out the Dosewallips.

Great trip!

I was thinking the same thing but wasn't sure we could get out via Constance in four days so decided to plan the exit via Royal Basin (we thought this trip would take four days but it went faster than expected). It would be great though to complete the whole traverse and exit via Constance Pass or maybe Marmot Pass.  Too bad the road to the Dosewallips TH has not been repaired!

I love seeing tr's from the olympics.  Due to procrastination and laziness, I so far have only brought surfboards anywhere W of Olympia.  I think it's unfortunate being as we have two incredible and skiable mountain ranges within easy driving distance.  Thanks for getting some stoke envoked in me for one!

author=hipystix link=topic=10132.msg40699#msg40699 date=1211338629]
I was thinking the same thing but wasn't sure we could get out via Constance in four days...  Too bad the road to the Dosewallips TH has not been repaired!

Yeah, I figured a fast-paced four-day trip from Hurricane Ridge to the Dosewallips River if the road was open. Uncertainty about the road has contributed to my procrastination.  Your TR has got me thinking about it again!

Nice. Thanks for the beta on the Graywolf area.  We are planning a trip to Baldy this weekend.  That was an inspirational route which would take much longer when the snow melts.

Very nice.  I grew up hiking in the Oly's, and want to get back there to ski someday.  Two years ago we hiked into and camped in Royal Basin at the base of Deception.  What a beautiful area.  Thanks for the great pictures of a hidden wonderland.

I have to say the Olympics are probably my favorite range in Washington.  Since the late 70s I've spent a lot of time with friends and family exploring as many nooks and crannies as possible.  It's great to have such an intact national park so close to Olympia.  At times it's hard to find the time to reach the interior but I guess that's part of the magic.  Thanks for all the great replies, I'm glad I posted this trip.

Again,  Well done hipystix! You and Mary ought to be proud - a grand accomplishment!

WOW.  Looks amazing.  Now I have to pull out the map to see your traverse route.   

I've only been up there in the summer, but drooled over all the ski lines.

Royal Basin

Reply to this TR

may-15-17-2008-hurricane-ridge-to-royal-basin-high-route
hipystix
2008-05-19 22:03:08