Home > Trip Reports > Sun Top 5.17.08

Sun Top 5.17.08

5/15/08
Posted by Joedabaker on 5/17/08 3:03pm
Looking for a safe climb in the heat wave, my friend Pete and I embarked at the crack of of 3pm from my house looking to go up Huckleberry Creek, but the road had several snow patches on the low elevation, so we retreated and went up the Sun Top road to about 3100ft level, after a little 4-wheeling we parked a little over 4 miles I think to Sun Top summit. The skin on the road was nice and easy, surprised that there was not deep mush, but the road was covered nearly to the summit. There was a nice light breeze and the we hardly broke a sweat. Awesome views-left the camera at home  :(  Banged out the 300vt off the top in nice corn and on to the road for the additional 1800vt and a switchback cut down to the truck by 7pm. Snow a little slow on the road, but we did not have to pole, the tree shade sure beats being out in the full force of the sun on open slopes. No avy danger here.
I recommend this trip to anyone looking for a simple, safe tour that has breathtaking views.
The snow on the road may last a week or two before it turns patchy. 4-5 feet of snow at the summit.
In spite of forecasts, sounds like you guys pounded out a nice trip!

Reply to this TR

sun-top-5-17-08
Joedabaker
2008-05-17 22:03:57