Home > Trip Reports > May 17, 2008, Mt. Spokane

May 17, 2008, Mt. Spokane

5/17/08
Posted by silaswild on 5/17/08 6:13am
Nice quick trip from North Spokane after breakfast.  Just over half an hour drive to the ski area, two guys skinning up ahead, I booted since I forgot skins.  Cool breeze and just forming corn made the hike comfortable.  Nice views on top and refurbished stone hut alongside cell towers and satellite dishes.  The ski down was only slightly grippy, and better on steeper slopes.  Snowboarders had arrived and were building a kicker.

Back at the car I met the 17 May club who have skied Mt Spokane this day each of the last 25 years.  They were planning to waterski in the afternoon.  Back to Whitworth by 11 for Senior show at the Art Department, and other graduation festivities the rest of the 90 degree day.
Think there will be enough snow left on June 1?

author=telemack link=topic=10113.msg40694#msg40694 date=1211329149]

Quite likely not.  Check http://www.mtspokane.com/webcam.html before you go, eh?

author=telemack link=topic=10113.msg40694#msg40694 date=1211329149]

I was up there both May 17 & 18 and it sure was sweet. With the snow as consolidated as it was, the base was amazingly firm for being so hot.  Skinning and skiing in shorts rules! Of course the road flooded out Monday May 19, but road was rebuilt by Thursday. Road still technically "closed," but if you're a property owner (e.g., a condo-owner or visiting a friend), access is ok. Just know that you might be in for trouble if you park at the pass or Lodge 1.

With that said, the melt-off since last weekend was huge. On Saturday May 24, I skinned from the pass up B-29 and Teakettle, then about 300' below the summit had to angle off to the north toward the Vista Hut.  There was barely enough snow to make turns all the way from the summit to near Lodge #1 via the Hourglass: had to hop a little grass section near the timing shack.  While south side looks bare from town, there's big bare sections on open slopes of the east side up to halfway to summit, with up to ~2 feet of snow in the trees at the base around 4500', and 4-feet-plus on north and east slopes near the summit.

I'd go up Memorial Day, but for June 1 and next weekend I'm considering the big passes (Lookout, Salmo-Creston, maybe Kettle Crest) or the Selkirks.

Reply to this TR

may-17-2008-mt-spokane
silaswild
2008-05-17 13:13:17