Home > Trip Reports > October 31, 2003, Muir, MRNP

October 31, 2003, Muir, MRNP

10/31/03
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by paul_smith on 11/3/03 7:24pm
The month was fast closing for turns but the weather and a little fresh snow were with us so Todd VanOrden, Pete Pearson and myself headed for Rainier on this fine morn! On the drive Todd provided entertainment by reading almost every word of the morning rag even going so far as the classifieds. :) Bright sun, wind and an almost empty lot greeted us at Paradise. We headed to Pan Point skinning for a bit but that soon proved fruitless and my skis went on my pack. At Pebble creek the Muir snowfield looked almost as bleak as it had a 6 weeks ago so we looked to climbers right were three AT skiers were having thier way with a decent looking run of about 400 feet. Not looking this gift horse in the mouth we followed suit and added our turns to the picture, and October was in.Frozen Pebble creek provided additional entertainment with ice skating on skis. ;D   It's still a bit dicey out there with the new snow barely covering the rocks and inviting ski damage which our skis show evidience of. >:(  >:(  >:(  Some pictures of scarey Haloween skiers may be posted later.

Paul
Right on,Paul! Better turns than not,is what I always say - See my report of October 25, Pinnacle "Glacier"!...Greg Lange

Hey Paul, this last-day-of-the-month ski seems to be getting to be a habit for you (at least for October)! Don't you worry that your car might break down on the way, you might have a wreck, etc? I always imagine endless scenarios whereby my streak gets broken due to leaving it to the last day.

Paul thrives on the pressure  ;D

Greg several years ago I did the Pinnacle 'Glacier' ??? thing w/ Ron and Mad Dog and with all the laps we did it came to about 1,000 ft. As soon as I got home Charles I put this trip out of my mind and focused on the season in front of us, for the 12 hour turn around from door to door it was long for the couple dozen turns we got! The views of Hood, Adams, Goat Rocks, and St Helens to the south were great and were a good a reward as possible. 8) Lets do a little snow dance and hope this current weather pattern is short lived and snow takes it's place!

http://community.webshots.com/album/98587290mRnjTz?480

Well, here's the evidence that turns indeed where had on Halloween day up on (?) ??? Muir field somewhere.  Thankfully I have two other pairs of skiis to fall back on this month.  cheers!

...oh, and I realized that I missed page 4 on section D of the paper, Paul, so I shall rehash later.   Think snow!! ;D

Those are great photos! It looks like you had a beautiful day, and it is nice to see turns in new snow. You should consider sending one of those Halloween shots into telemarktips for their cover page - or better yet, let me use a few of the photos on my "cover page"!

You are more than welcome.  It was nice to get out.  It was just depressing to see the snow field so bad.   And of course all the rocks that I hit.

I'll have to second Charles and also suggest that you send in a shot to ttips so Pete can grace the cover page! And Todd I believe that you missed page 3 section 640 of the classifieds as well! ;D

Paul

Todd, I've got a couple of questions for you about using your photos - check your TRs messages.

Reply to this TR

october-31-2003-muir-mrnp
paul_smith
2003-11-04 03:24:00