Home > Trip Reports > November 1, 2003, Muir, MRNP

November 1, 2003, Muir, MRNP

11/1/03
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Andrew Carey on 11/1/03 1:29am
>:( >:( >:( >:Ice >:( ;)abc
That's OK. You made more turns today than anyone I know, except for Ron Cram, the "Official World Record Holder For The Most Consecutive Months Of Skiing" (self-proclaimed). He sent me pix from Palmer on Hood today, and there's less snow there than at Muir.

Keep on turnin'...Greg Lange

Andy, the telemetry is showing about 12" of snowpack near the parking lot - is this what you saw? Also, was it ice as in refrozen new snow or hard, dirty old snow?

It looks like Paradise has received a few inches of new overnight, so perhaps conditions will be getting better?

telemetry is whacked; this a.m. according to the ranger there was 3 inches on the ground; Sat there was unevern coverage of 0-5 inches with most new in the path/trail.  Ice was dirty brown old ice.  >:(

Thanks Andy,
We found only 3" up behind Hyak and Mt Catherine.We were hopping for  a little XC tour on roads up there.We left the skis in the car and walked about.
Robie

This time of year (i.e. before there is enough snow to ski on) the telemetry snow depth sensors are actually "bush height" sensors. As the disclaimer says, please use common sense when interpreting the data.

I was just curious if anyone knows just how the telemetry info is gathered.  I am not sure I have ever seen a sensor, though I have seen some whacky looking metal towers that had lots of hanging metal bars on them.  Is that a snow depth sensor?

Alan

The ones used by the SNOTEL system measure the weight of the snow on top of them.

Here is a link to the SNOTEL site for Paradise -- it is currently reading a snow-water* reading of 1.2 inches.

http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/snotel/snotel.pl?sitenum=679&state=wa

*snow-water  is the depth of water created if all the snow on the sensor were melted.

Reply to this TR

november-1-2003-muir-mrnp
Andrew Carey
2003-11-01 09:29:30