Home > Trip Reports > May 10, 2008, to May 11, 2008, Silver Star

May 10, 2008, to May 11, 2008, Silver Star

5/10/08
WA Cascades East Slopes North
Posted by jessicaj on 5/12/08 4:45am
First trip post here (and first backcountry trip as well). 

After our group was dumped by our climb leader, we decided to have some fun and head out to Silver Star on May 10 for an overnight and summit attempt.  3 of us (Spence, Melissa and I) were new to skiing the backcountry and decided to make it extra challenging and add 30 to 40 lb overnight packs with pickets, glacier gear, food and so on. Russ and Mike were on snowshoes and Jeremy on skis.   

The first leg of skinning was a struggle, with me frequently asking what the heck I had gotten myself into.  Lots of frustration€¦then I fell into a tree well, I had a lot of compassion at that point for large animals that just can€™t get up.  Thanks to Spence for providing a hand. 

We kept trudging only to have Spence fall into the same predicament and yell a few interesting words.  We finally started to get what the heck we were supposed to do and then the terrain provided more challenge, skiing down with ankles free and skins on.  Melissa€™s knees have a few bruises from that fun.

We set camp about 500ft below a group that would attempt the summit the next day.  Mike and Jeremy had commitments the next day so descended that evening.  From Jeremy€™s trip report, they had a spectacular trip down. 

The winds set in sometime late during the night and we knew that our summit bid was over, but summiting wasn€™t the goal of this trip.   

After breaking down camp and removing the skins off the skis, I took a deep breath and loaded my pack on my back.  And prepared myself mentally the best I could for the trip down.

Russ put a trash bag on to try and glissade and Melissa and Spence followed shortly afterward on their skis. 

My skis broke through and found some soft snow beneath the frozen crust.  Once I got a few turns in and one good wipe out, I started to get the hang of skiing with a pack on and away I went to enjoy a few pockets of smooth snow and some silky soft stuff.  What a kick! 

During the flats, my mind started to set in and think about the terrifing tree run that was looming in my near future.  To make things worse, Spence and Melissa disappeared for a bit.  After backtracking a bit I found Russ trying to dig a out some snow from the creek, it was a shovel handle creek rescue! 

Well, we were now doomed to a terrifying tree run riddled with holes, sticks and ice, but I kept going. To my surprise, once the terrain became steeper again, the snow was soft and skiing down Silver Star Creek was spectacular.  The run opened up in a few spots and provided even greater snow.

After returning to the vehicle Russ realized his crampons were gone, and headed back to try and locate them.  He did, thanks to a group a climbers that were heading back just at the right time. 

I€™m looking forward to a lot more ski assents/descents, what a way to travel!  I€™ve been post holing for too many years.  Some fellows on their way up called it something else, can€™t remember exactly what€¦

Anyway, what a blast and some great company to boot. 
We called it "Slow shoeing". Glad to see you had a good time. Lots of leasons learned my first few times out too.

There were a few groups out there last weekend. To minimize the number of TR threads, I will just piggy back off yours.

Since I had to be back in Seattle by 8 pm, we left scenic Lynnwood at 4 am on 5/11 for the 3 hour drive up to Silver Star Creek, 7.5 miles past the Early Winter Spires. Rainer Bergendorf's book lists this as an overnighter with 8 miles in and 10 hours to complete.
Followed the route of a couple telemarkers that we caught up with on their way down. They went up the middle gully and descended the right one (skier's left). We ran into a soloist who was taking a break before we starting up the middle gully. Looking down the middle gully is the second photo.
Four hours into it, we stopped 1300 feet below the summit, not wanting to ski down ice up higher. From the point of our descent, the snow varied from iced over corn to patches of powder until the timberline where it was "cascade concrete". The line is behind me in the third photo.
As expected, skiing the trail back to the parking lot proved to be exciting as we avoided trees (sometimes) or falling into Silver Star creek.

Reply to this TR

may-10-2008-to-may-11-2008-silver-star
jessicaj
2008-05-12 11:45:52