Home > Trip Reports > When keeping the tour goes wrong - 5.9-10.08

When keeping the tour goes wrong - 5.9-10.08

5/15/08
Posted by Stugie on 5/11/08 4:56am
I'll keep this short.  Left Friday evening for Corral Pass, my trekker busted.  Fixable, but not without a Home Depot run first.  This left me bootpacking the rest of the trip.  An ugly alternative after we realized that Noble Nob would not be had, but skiing the pass was better than nothing at all.  Luckily, we had some sucker holes the whole trip which kept the weather good (minus a few drops later Sat. afternoon).  The snow was horrid mashed potatoes, perfect for large wet slides, which happened.  Dan was able to pull a James Bond as a 2-3' wetslide took out some trees and flew past him for a grand 1500vf or so! (S aspect, 35* slope).  Here's some pics...

Kyle looking in the valley...

Dan launching a cornice...

Noble Nob

Kyle grabbing a bit-o-hang time...

Dream destinations...

Scott bracing for lift off (and losing his hat)...
Man that is a long boot up Stugie. Good work, nice pictures. I have some Trekkers laying around if you need parts.

By the looking at your pictures this report reminded me that recently a friend of mine, who I call the Grand Master of Crystal's BC, did a day trip tour skinning from his cabin at Silver Creek up to Corral Pass, then behind (NE) Castle Ridge to the last chute on the Castle, skied into what you call "Valley of the Titan's" or Goat Lake, then skinned to the SW ridge skied down close to the Crystal access road, back down the old road to his cabin.

The snow depended on the aspect which you were on that day.
I was on East Peak that same day as your trip with great snow on the East slopes that were money!

Wow, nice tracks!  That sounds like a killer tour and some great terrain as well!

As the "wreckers" go, I appreciate the geusture a 100x!  I have a bunch of extra screws and some JB weld, but if it doesn't work, I'll probably do what I should've done a while back...get a real AT setup.  :-[

Reply to this TR

when-keeping-the-tour-goes-wrong-5-9-10-08
Stugie
2008-05-11 11:56:34