Home > Trip Reports > October 26, 2003, Muir

October 26, 2003, Muir

10/26/03
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by alpentalcorey on 10/26/03 11:57am
Muir was rocking today!  Not exactly what I expected, but there was excellent corn that made multiple laps a must.  Sky and I were in the parking lot at Paradise when I realized that I had forgotten both sunglasses and goggles and was facing a squinty day.  We knew that Amar and Matt were coming up but Sky thought it wouldn't be until later.  I wondered if any TAY-ers would be coming up and might take pity on me, so i waited a few minutes trying to channel Ron J or anyone I might recognize from a TR photo.  Luckily Amar and Matt showed up and Matt was kind enough to lend me some nice glacier glasses, and we proceeded to ski our brains out!  Obviously no skiing to the parking lot right now (not even close), but the upper snowfield had buttery smooth snow (a few dirty patches, but they were easily avoided).

Sounds like snow levels will be getting quite low this week!
Sounds like some of the new has survived up there; good show, Corey.  Just so you know, I would have loaned you some sunglasses... they might have even been non-perscription!!  8)

I was up there on saturday...expected conditions to be awful considering all the rain and A.Carey's observations from earlier in the week, but man what a pleasant suprise....as Corey said the snowfield was in fine form. The lower snowfield was a patchwork of new snow and old dirty ice but the upper snowfield was just what I was hoping for...fast smooth clean corn snow...couldn't believe that all the cracks on the snowfield were already filled in.
Looking forward to November when I can leave the approach sneakers behind and skin right from the parking lot.

Reply to this TR

october-26-2003-muir
alpentalcorey
2003-10-26 19:57:34