Home > Forum > March 16th, 2020 ALPENTAL Uphill Travel

March 16th, 2020 ALPENTAL Uphill Travel

More
01 Apr 2020 19:31 - 02 Apr 2020 07:37 #233711 by PhilH

I have removed my previous posts in this thread, not because the info I shared is inaccurate, but out of fear that the public-discussion alone could be to the detriment of those who are still taking advantage of what (legal) outdoor rec opportunities we still have.

Frank, understandable but unfortunate.

In my Avy 1 class the instructor said the point of the training was to give us the skills to travel safely (i.e. manage the risks) given the current conditions. The training, he said, is not about deciding whether to go or not go, but rather where to go and be safe. I don't want to speak for Frank, but it seemed to me that he was trying to have a discussion not about whether we should go skiing or not go skiing, in the midst of this present crisis, but rather how we can go skiing safely. Some TAYers on this thread picked up on his comments and were trying to discuss the possibility of going skiing while 1) staying within the bounds of the Forest Service closure order, 2) not congregating at trailheads and, 3) reducing the risk of needing a rescue from local SAR.

It is unfortunate for TAY if this type of discussion is deemed to be somehow inappropriate or irresponsible.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Apr 2020 10:13 #233712 by filbo
"You can admire a coyote-he's an outlaw, but it's hard to admire a sheep."
from The Meadow by James Galvin.

That being said I don't like admitting to being a sheep under the circumstance, but I recon I am.
It's hard.

Good luck to all the coyotes and sheep out there.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.