helli ski info

• pipedream
  • [pipedream]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
22 Mar 2018 15:55 #231461 by pipedream
Replied by pipedream on topic Re: helli ski info
I thought we are all supposed to be deleting our Facebooks, not our TAY forum accounts ???

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• kamtron
  • [kamtron]
More
22 Mar 2018 16:08 #231462 by kamtron
Replied by kamtron on topic Re: helli ski info

I thought we are all supposed to be deleting our Facebooks, not our TAY forum accounts ???

If enough people do that (and if this POS forum software ever gets updated... which I'm happy to volunteer to help), maybe TAY will be about sharing trip reports and stoke rather than diatribes about whomever's personal issue again!

P.S. I know people are working behind the scenes to update. Not trying to ruffle any feathers, I just think the archaic interface and difficulty of uploading photos is what makes people gravitate towards the TAY FB page, or Instagram, or whatever.

• Charlie Hagedorn
  • [trumpetsailor]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
22 Mar 2018 17:16 #231464 by Charlie Hagedorn
Replied by Charlie Hagedorn on topic Re: helli ski info
This is a nuanced topic, but I'd like to express support for a temporary block of freeski's account and disapproval of the removal of anyone's entire post history. Freeski has made positive contributions, but numerous recent posts were detrimental to the valuable and long-standing tenor of TAY.

TAY is important as an archive, as it will serve in decades to come as a historical record of backcountry skiing in the Cascades for both skiers and advocacy. It's important that useful conversations retain their continuity. (For clarity -- in my opinon, it is okay to nuke posts that have gotten out of hand, but not those that make meaningful contributions.) I'm happy to help to the extent that I can in recovering freeski's posts.

• cumulus
  • [cumulus]
More
22 Mar 2018 17:34 #231465 by cumulus
Replied by cumulus on topic Re: helli ski info
To be clear: all I'm saying is that respect goes both ways.  As administrators/moderators you're just as intrinsically involved in setting the tone as we all are.
When you remove all of somebody's posts, or invasively edit somebody's post, it doesn't seem like there is much consideration given for courtesy or the golden rule.  As ski_photomatt correctly pointed out, it doesn't exactly foster trust either.  And as flowing alpy pointed out, there are certainly more respectful solutions--a time out for example.

Respect begets respect. Pretty simple--but occasionally complicated too.

btw: really happy nobody has edited the (mispelled?) title: helli ski -- appropriate, eh?  ;)

More
22 Mar 2018 23:52 #229889 by water
Replied by water on topic Re: helli ski info
imo that guy was as close to verbal/mental cancer as i have seen, and on the topic of Mt. St. Helens Institute I have almost been that guy for almost 10 years. Been on enough forums of all variety, the way he wrote, quoted, debated, was among the worst. I was so irritated i made a parody account (changed my name) to heli-free north cascades tay-free username to troll him and admins quickly removed it.

good riddance. dgaf about his history being deleted.

might be a great person to hang with skis on the snow, no doubt, but here was pure garbage, it was like fox news echo chamber, unless you agreed with him, you were in conspiracy against!

• Gary Vogt
  • [vogtski]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
23 Mar 2018 05:05 #229890 by Gary Vogt
Replied by Gary Vogt on topic Re: helli ski info

...on the topic of Mt. St. Helens Institute I have almost been that guy for almost 10 years...

As a XC-only skier with little "stoke" to offer, I have probably "almost been that guy" on the subject of the highly overrated management of the National Park Service.   TAY has the right to ban anyone they choose, as long as necessary, but deleting all their posts seems pretty extreme to me.

• flowing alpy
  • [flowing alpy]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
23 Mar 2018 19:13 #226264 by flowing alpy
Replied by flowing alpy on topic Re: helli ski info

To be clear: all I'm saying is that respect goes both ways.  As administrators/moderators you're just as intrinsically involved in setting the tone as we all are.
When you remove all of somebody's posts, or invasively edit somebody's post, it doesn't seem like there is much consideration given for courtesy or the golden rule.  As ski_photomatt correctly pointed out, it doesn't exactly foster trust either.  And as flowing alpy pointed out, there are certainly more respectful solutions--a time out for example.

Respect begets respect. Pretty simple--but occasionally complicated too.

btw: really happy nobody has edited the (mispelled?) title: helli ski -- appropriate, eh?  ;)

word

• silaswild
  • [silaswild]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
23 Mar 2018 20:43 #226162 by silaswild
Replied by silaswild on topic Re: helli ski info
The volume of non skiing posts on TAY seems inversely related to current snow quality. Meanwhile here at Jackson skiing was very wet yesterday and superb 14" fresh this morning. Sunny and challenging this afternoon. I'm thankful for all my TAY friends who've shared so many fine stashes with me, including Chris (freeski.)

• cmosetick
  • [cmosetick]
More
24 Mar 2018 16:09 #222103 by cmosetick
Replied by cmosetick on topic Re: helli ski info
I'll try adding some more detail than I did i my last post. Marcus messaged me privately about HFNC / Freeski on March 8th. I asked him about deleting topics and posts as a simple question and he just went ahead and did it point blank. I realize that Marcus should not have been involved in the first place, but it seems that NWAC members reached out to him rather than Micah or myself. This is not putting blame on Marcus, Freeski should have just been banned temporarily or permanently. Many of his posts contain valuable discussions, even if sometimes extremely controversial.

More
24 Mar 2018 18:17 #222105 by BillK
Replied by BillK on topic Re: helli ski info
And several could potentially put your "community's" site in legal jeopardy

• Randito
  • [Randito]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
24 Mar 2018 19:21 #222107 by Randito
Replied by Randito on topic Re: helli ski info
My take on FreeSki's posts is there was a bit useful information, but it was small compared to the add on rantings and "I'm being supressed" tone.  IMHO the breaking point is when he started derailing various other threads hammering again and again about his issues.

You can find bits and pieces of his posts where others quoted him.

His posts on NWAC under the handle "Vague observations for money" were another example of taking things beyond where they could be a useful contribution.

Perhaps he was unable to gain insight from this classic

goo.gl/images/mFQ3xB

• flowing alpy
  • [flowing alpy]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
26 Mar 2018 10:25 #231474 by flowing alpy

And several could potentially put your "community's" site in legal jeopardy

How?

More
26 Mar 2018 13:20 - 26 Mar 2018 13:29 #231476 by BillK
Replied by BillK on topic Re: helli ski info
Libel? Defamation?  Not sure of the correct term but I think there is a potential risk to the website.  Any lawyer's care to comment?

More
26 Mar 2018 14:19 #231477 by bbrelje
Replied by bbrelje on topic Re: helli ski info

Libel? Defamation?  Not sure of the correct term but I think there is a potential risk to the website.  Any lawyer's care to comment?

IANAL, but:
- Libel is written defamation . Slander is verbal defamation.
- Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act provides immunity for internet services (such as Facebook) from defamation claims based on content generated by their users. Unless freeski was the owner (or possibly a mod / agent of the owner), TAY is immune from a defamation lawsuit. TAY certainly isn't obliged to remove potentially libelous content preemptively, and I'm not even sure they're obliged to do so upon request.

• flowing alpy
  • [flowing alpy]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
26 Mar 2018 16:01 #231480 by flowing alpy
there has been some pretty heinous shit posted at the mothership,
stuff that made the drivel that 'helli' posted seem more like a blog.
TAY ain't gonna get sued cuz a guy wants his bc to his self imo
i'm at best a canine dentist, i'll leave the lawyering to geezer steve