Home > Forum > Solo BC Skiers

Solo BC Skiers

• kamtron
  • [kamtron]
More
14 Mar 2017 09:25 #229216 by kamtron
Replied by kamtron on topic Re: Solo BC Skiers

More like bluebird early spring corn skiing. 

I've always thought the glaciers were a bit safer in late spring and early summer, when the bridges are more consolidated, rather than early spring

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• dberdinka
  • [dberdinka]
More
15 Mar 2017 06:29 #229226 by dberdinka
Replied by dberdinka on topic Re: Solo BC Skiers
I'm aware of only 1 confirmed and 1 presumed unroped skier-crevasse fall - fatality in the last decade or so. If anyone has more to add I'd be interested.

Tucker Taffe on 5-10-2011 at about 13k on the Nisqually Glacier (in a group of 4)

Kevin Lafleur on 4-26-2008 somewhere on the Coleman Deming Route (solo - presumed crevasse fall)

Interestingly these both occurred during the time of year I would have considered safest for ski travel when the snowpack is still deep and setting up. While these are both large and very heavily crevassed glaciers they are also very popular routes, particularly the C-D which presumably would have had a beat in track.

So maybe your just not going to negate the risk completely. However considering how many people are skiing glaciers unroped on any given day the odds of getting killed doing so appear to be very, very low.

And agreed with above sentiments about watching out for the shrunds.

• Lowell_Skoog
  • [Lowell_Skoog]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
15 Mar 2017 08:22 - 15 Mar 2017 08:38 #229227 by Lowell_Skoog
Replied by Lowell_Skoog on topic Re: Solo BC Skiers

I'm aware of only 1 confirmed and 1 presumed unroped skier-crevasse fall - fatality in the last decade or so.  If anyone has more to add I'd be interested.

The following thread discusses a fatal crevasse fall while skiing by Peter Almerling in 2013. This was a little different because he fell while skiing on hard snow and slid into a crevasse:

www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboardi...ex.php?topic=29028.0

Interestingly these both occurred during the time of year I would have considered safest for ski travel when the snowpack is still deep and setting up. 

Here are some thoughts I wrote up a few years ago about the conditions that seem most conducive to crevasse falls on skis:

alpenglow.org/skiing/high-route-tips/part6-glaciers.html

• joepa
  • [jpasteris]
More
16 Mar 2017 13:40 #229234 by joepa
Replied by joepa on topic Re: Solo BC Skiers

Or, you could wear a ladder like that guy who soloed denali in the winter a long time ago. He wrote a book about it. Worth a read.

Talk about someone who is comfortable with solo travel!! I've enjoyed following Lonnie Dupre's adventures over the years. I'll have to check out his book.

• Chuck C
  • [Chuck Cerveny]
More
17 Mar 2017 19:35 #229255 by Chuck C
Replied by Chuck C on topic Re: Solo BC Skiers

Didn't a roped team on mt hood slip into a crack and the heli rescue team crashed the heli trying to save 'em?

Yeah. And If I remember right, the heli rolled over the guy they were trying to rescue.

• undermyownpower
  • [undermyownpower]
More
25 Mar 2017 03:16 #229327 by undermyownpower
Replied by undermyownpower on topic Re: Solo BC Skiers
Thanks for the tips on solo glacier skiing. Any ski guide suggestions? So as not to start a war shoot me a PM so I don't hurt anyones feelings.

Looking forward to the upcoming volcano season!
Keith