Home > Forum > Ski areas limiting access to terrain

Ski areas limiting access to terrain

• blackdog102395
  • [blackdog102395]
More
10 Feb 2017 20:46 #228732 by blackdog102395
Replied by blackdog102395 on topic Re: Ski areas limiting access to terrain
The number of topics with similar issues and themes this season is interesting. It's not hard to understand. An increase in users is creating conflict over access, etiquette, safety, and responsibility. This is not going to change. Those that play in areas with low hanging fruit are going to have to figure it out or someone is going to figure it out for you. Others will likely take my approach which is to avoid the low hanging fruit all together on the days when it's most likely to be picked. I think the latter strategy is the safe bet, as there are too many users all with competing agendas who have very little chance of working it all out.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wickstad
  • [wickstad]
More
14 Feb 2017 19:49 #228786 by wickstad
Replied by wickstad on topic Re: Ski areas limiting access to terrain
www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboardi...ex.php?topic=37877.0 Found this in the February BBC trip reports.

More
19 Feb 2017 19:17 #228861 by Stügie
Replied by Stügie on topic Re: Ski areas limiting access to terrain

Its got nothing to do with greed or Crystal trying to increase revenue...it's just common fucking sense.
Nearly all the the patrollers and management at Crystal are avid ski tourers themselves.

Pretty easy.

Amen brother.  Just like a similar thread (www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboardi...ex.php?topic=37877.0 ) it's been pretty well-stated and agreed that with the exponential growth of ski touring as an option, education is lacking...in some cases quite severely. 

How exactly is the average ski tourer supposed to get to this terrain?  Most of us can't go heli skiing all winter.  Nor do we have snowmobiles - and the trailers and big rigs and the storage space they require.  As well, most of us are not macho supermen that can get to the more remote places in the winter.

The number of bc skiers is expanding, access is diminishing, do the math.      

I find this statement saddening.  There are PLENTY of ski touring options, away from resort access, that don't require being a "macho superman".  It seems that with the rapid growth of ski/snowboard touring, motivation and creativity (not access) is diminishing year after year.

• Randito
  • [Randito]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
03 Dec 2022 10:32 - 03 Dec 2022 10:33 #236110 by Randito
Replied by Randito on topic Re: Ski areas limiting access to terrain
FWIW:  I believe Crystal's and The Summit's Special Use Permit is administered by the USFS Enumclaw Office  -- letters and phone messages with your opinions about the updated policies might have an effect on future decisions

Enumclaw, WA 98022

Phone Number:
(360) 825-6585

Also you can voice your concerns with the Senators and Congressionsal reps for those areas

www.murray.senate.gov/write-to-patty/
www.cantwell.senate.gov/contact/email/form

Crystal, Summit Stevens
schrier.house.gov/address_authentication?form=/contact/email-me

Baker
larsen.house.gov/contact/

White Pass
marieforcongress.com/
newhouse.house.gov/address_authentication?form=/contact
Last edit: 03 Dec 2022 10:33 by Randito.