Home > Forum > Snoqualmie summit uphill policy?

Snoqualmie summit uphill policy?

More
25 Dec 2015 23:59 #225472 by melchap
Replied by melchap on topic Re: Snoqualmie summit uphill policy?
I've seen signs at hyak saying that randonee skiers can use the Nordic trail system if the purchase a pass. I take that to mean a Nordic pass is enough.

One could skin up Hyak via FS road 110. The road isn't part of the trails though it's sometimes groomed. I tour up hyak often when the lifts are running and the patrollers I've encountered have been nice. I don't tour up the face when the lifts are spinning.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jan 2016 16:19 - 02 Jan 2016 16:26 #223641 by TonyM
Replied by TonyM on topic Re: Snoqualmie summit uphill policy?
Our ski hill in Crested Butte has an established uphill policy complete with specific rules and uphill maps.  Skinned up this afternoon on the 'all day' route.

The routes are clearly marked with placards placed every 50 yards or so.  Clearly visible to both uphill, and more importantly, downhill traffic.

During avalanche control work, red flashing lights warn of uphill travel (prohibited).  And yes, they will yank a pass if rules are violated.  Seems to work just fine.

www.skicb.com/things-to-do/uphill-skiing

Map:  www.skicb.com/sites/default/files/cbmr/t.../198701026650613.JPG

Key is placement of the track well off to one side or the other of whatever run is being used.  In our case, the all day route skirts the busy run near the main lifts, but as soon as the service road is crossed, the track cuts off and follows it up to a mid-way mountain point. 

Seems to work just fine.  Common sense rules again.

• Randito
  • [Randito]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
18 Jan 2016 07:43 #225771 by Randito
Replied by Randito on topic Re: Snoqualmie summit uphill policy?
Very interesting. Back in the '80s Kittitas county levied an admissions tax on lift ticket sales and the ownership successfully fought that by claiming that lift tickets were solely for riding the lifts and not for admission to the ski area itself.

Most of the land is USFS land, I wonder if there has been any change in the Special Use Permit?

• skibacks
  • [skibacks]
More
24 Jan 2016 10:44 #225880 by skibacks
Replied by skibacks on topic Re: Snoqualmie summit uphill policy?

Very interesting.  Back in the '80s Kittitas county levied an admissions tax on lift ticket sales and the ownership successfully fought that by claiming that lift tickets were solely for riding the lifts and not for admission to the ski area itself.

Most of the land is USFS land, I wonder if there has been any change in the Special Use Permit?

"It was so cold, the Kittitas County Treasurer had his hands in his own pockets.!" :)

• Randito
  • [Randito]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
03 Feb 2016 03:13 #225982 by Randito
Replied by Randito on topic Re: Snoqualmie summit uphill policy?

It's misdemeanor trespass in WA. Whether or not patrol calls the Sheriff is up to them.

FWIW: The vast majority of "summit" ski runs lie on USFS land. Some sections are private land. "checkerboard" lands.

I believe the land around the "central" lodge is private. The Silver Fir chairlift is right on the southern boundary of a private parcel.

Older USFS maps showed the public/private squares.

More
09 Feb 2016 11:32 #226059 by ErikT
Replied by ErikT on topic Re: Snoqualmie summit uphill policy?
FWIW I was at West a few weeks back and had no issues with patrollers / lifties. My last lap was as they were closing, and patroller informed me of such. Having a headlamp I expressed that I felt comfortable skiing down after the lights were off. He was fine with it. Enjoyed a really nice run down towards the base area in a unique ambiance of starlights above and bars lit up below.

• Donnelly_M
  • [Donnelly_M]
More
10 Feb 2016 23:00 - 10 Feb 2016 23:04 #226043 by Donnelly_M
Replied by Donnelly_M on topic Re: Snoqualmie summit uphill policy?
I can understand having strict enforcement during avalanche control work, but I really wish areas would lighten up when it comes to uphill traffic before or after the area closes on those clear days when there has not been any recent snow fall.  I assume some areas are worried about people interfering with grooming and such, but I figure it's pretty easy to avoid a grooming machine.  I remember someone telling me how many years ago if people skinned or hiked past a certain point at Whistler, they got a free ticket for the rest of the day for their willingness to exert the effort.  That is what I like about Mt. Baker, I can skin up before or after the area closes to get my alpine race training in and not have to worry about coldcocking someone at 100 km/h.  I figure it would be a good way to promote fitness and activity by allowing people to at least skin up before or after the area closes on non avalanche prone days.  And it gives more options for those of us who don't have ski partners or avalanche gear to go out in the BC in a safe manner even on those long dry stretches.  I figure, I'm more safe on a freshly groomed run at 7 in the morning then out in the BC where anything can potentially happen.  That is unless I was dumb enough to run into a snow cat.  ::)

• snoqpass
  • [snoqpass]
More
11 Feb 2016 20:58 #226092 by snoqpass
Replied by snoqpass on topic Re: Snoqualmie summit uphill policy?

I can understand having strict enforcement during avalanche control work, but I really wish areas would lighten up when it comes to uphill traffic before or after the area closes on those clear days when there has not been any recent snow fall.  I assume some areas are worried about people interfering with grooming and such, but I figure it's pretty easy to avoid a grooming machine.  I remember someone telling me how many years ago if people skinned or hiked past a certain point at Whistler, they got a free ticket for the rest of the day for their willingness to exert the effort.  That is what I like about Mt. Baker, I can skin up before or after the area closes to get my alpine race training in and not have to worry about coldcocking someone at 100 km/h.  I figure it would be a good way to promote fitness and activity by allowing people to at least skin up before or after the area closes on non avalanche prone days.  And it gives more options for those of us who don't have ski partners or avalanche gear to go out in the BC in a safe manner even on those long dry stretches.  I figure, I'm more safe on a freshly groomed run at 7 in the morning then out in the BC where anything can potentially happen.  That is unless I was dumb enough to run into a snow cat.  ::)

I'd say they are being generous
app.leg.wa.gov/Rcw/default.aspx?cite=79A.45.070

• Lowell_Skoog
  • [Lowell_Skoog]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
11 Feb 2016 22:09 #226094 by Lowell_Skoog
Replied by Lowell_Skoog on topic Re: Snoqualmie summit uphill policy?

app.leg.wa.gov/Rcw/default.aspx?cite=79A.45.070

From the RCW:

"A person is guilty of a misdemeanor if the person knowingly skis in an area or on a ski trail, owned or controlled by a ski area operator, that is closed to the public and that has signs posted indicating the closure."

I think the clause highlighted above is the key. Typically, when a ski area closes at the end of the day, they just stop the lifts and turn off the lights. They don't post the area as being closed. In that case, I don't think the RCW would apply.

On the other hand, areas subject to active avalanche control typically have closed signs.

I haven't heard of people being kicked off the hill in Washington due to grooming operations, but I imagine it could happen. I once had a talk with a cat operator at Schweitzer (in Idaho) during a dawn patrol. He warned me that they do a lot of winch grooming there and the tow lines they use are so thin as to be virtually invisible to a speeding skier. You could decapitate yourself if you hit one of those lines going fast. I appreciated the warning.

More
29 Feb 2016 22:09 #226319 by Cornfed
Replied by Cornfed on topic Re: Snoqualmie summit uphill policy?
I was refreshing on this today given we were touring Chair Peak Basin. Lowell's question was about touring uphill at the Summit and being asked for a pass, but Gib's post from 12/12 seemed to indicate all uphill traffic was allowed with some simple rules. I wont restate, but look back at Gib's detailed post earlier in the thread.

• BrianT
  • [saxybrian]
More
01 Mar 2016 10:53 #226320 by BrianT
Replied by BrianT on topic Re: Snoqualmie summit uphill policy?
I called the summit and they asked their 'director' or whoever about uphill policy for me. They said as long as you stay OUT of the way and hug the treeline/etc..., you're good to go for uphill travel.

More
01 Mar 2016 12:58 #226321 by haggis
Replied by haggis on topic Re: Snoqualmie summit uphill policy?
The key point here from Gib's mail is WHEN IT IS OPEN! Until the spring when Alpental closes Monday to Friday then I believe this gets relaxed. Until then if its not open you can't tour within the permit boundary. I saw some folk doing this yesterday but didn't want to say anything (and patrol does do control work on Mondays on occasion especially after 10+ inches of new fell overnight).

"There is no uphill travel allowed within the permit boundary unless the resort is OPEN for business, YES - OPEN and loading lifts -AND, you must also make pre-hike contact with the patrol so they can try and accommodate your goals and help you choose safest route for us both."