Home > Forum > New baby. Is backcountry season on hold?

New baby. Is backcountry season on hold?

• alpentalcorey
  • [alpentalcorey]
More
22 Oct 2015 13:04 #224886 by alpentalcorey
Replied by alpentalcorey on topic Re: New baby. Is backcountry season on hold?
Noticed this late, lots of good advice.

Here's mine - get in as good as you can with your mother in law/baby mama mama. Score as many "points" as you are able but then spend them as soon as you reasonably can. "Points", like snowpacks, can sometimes evaporate into thin air.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Oct 2015 08:43 #224917 by sprice
Much good advice

Our kid is thru college and employed in SF.

I remember clearly all the admonitions before she was born about how much our lives would change. But they sorta missed the point. Yes, things around you change an enormous amount, but what I didn't understand at the time is that YOU change as well. You won't be the same person coming out as going in.

Second, life is uncertain. You don't know what kind of kid you are going to get. You can get a mellow sleeper or an obstreperous howler. The first 5 years can be pretty unpredictable.

But both my spouse and I still got out a fair amount. We were lucky enough to have 2 grandmothers in town. And from 1 to about 2.5, you can tour with them. Those baby backpacks have harnesses so when you headplant the kid stays in the backpack :)

But given our kid's personality, I do think we made some mistakes in taking her out too much, especially in grade school. I think she got burned out and by middle school really didn't want to do family hikes. You have to recognize your kid's own personality and work with that to make outdoors trips fun and something of an reward, not long endurance grinds and tight schedules.

Finally, you are not dead yet. By the time she reaches high school you will have a lot more time on your hands (unless they are in select soccer) and can get out a lot more. And, we live in the golden age of both beer and surgery, so the likelyhood that you can ski until your mid 70's is actually pretty realistic. I did a week long coast range trip with a woman who was 72.

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.