Home > Forum > Snowmobiles at Artist Point! WTF

Snowmobiles at Artist Point! WTF

• aaron_wright
  • [aaron_wright]
More
07 Jun 2014 15:15 #222381 by aaron_wright
Replied by aaron_wright on topic Re: Snowmobiles at Artist Point! WTF
In high use areas hikers, climbers and horse back riders are supposed to stay on the established trails, right? Just because those user groups sometimes wander off the trail isn't a good argument for snow mobiles to have the privilege off riding off trail. Even if you do restrict snow mobiles to the roads and trails, you know that a certain percent will go where they want.

The damage I've seen in the Wenatchee Mountains from sledders trying to access the "goods" in low snow conditions is worse than the accumulated damage of a summer of hiker/climber/horse use. Riding long stretches of dry or wet ground or over thin snowpack and damaging vegetation and disturbing the soil is common. When it's June and I can see paddle marks in the soil and broken vegetation on hillsides flanking trails and roads it makes me think something needs to change.

I'm just as upset when I see people on foot, bike or horse back straying from the established trail or leaving their tp and shit all over the place. We all need to be better stewards of our landscape.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• T. Eastman
  • [T. Eastman]
More
08 Jun 2014 21:50 #222383 by T. Eastman
Replied by T. Eastman on topic Re: Snowmobiles at Artist Point! WTF
Chris, while the FS does permit those activities, it still must go through its assessment processes and share those findings with the public. In you neighborhood, there was a somewhat drawn out process that precluded a rather large alpine ski resort from being developed. As I am told, somewhat driven garlic farmer was helped drive a stake through the proposed development...

More
09 Jun 2014 07:51 #222387 by Jason4
Replied by Jason4 on topic Re: Snowmobiles at Artist Point! WTF
I was up in the Artist Point area on Thursday and there were large bulldozer tracks all the way up to the AP parking lot. I was really upset that there were large ruts where I wanted to skin but no road to drive on yet...

No sign of snowmo tracks.