Home > Forum > TAY software upgrade - Feedback requested!

TAY software upgrade - Feedback requested!

• Marcus
  • [Marcus]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
01 Jul 2014 17:58 #222487 by Marcus
Nothing like a software problem to remind me about this pending upgrade... sorry for the long delay in response here, and appreciate all the input and feedback!

Short-ish answer for no - the PHP problem that had the forum inaccessible for the last day or two is going to require some degree of upgrade by the end of the summer. Hopefully that will be to the new site, which has had a lot of work put into it. Hoping to connect with the primary developer soon and figure out what the next steps are - may need to come back to the well here for folks to help with some pieces of that.

Thanks for the patience!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• dub_xion
  • [dub_xion]
More
11 Nov 2014 19:01 #222898 by dub_xion
Replied by dub_xion on topic Re: TAY software upgrade - Feedback requested!
More of a bug report, but would be nice to see it fixed in the next iteration: when I send PM's to people in Safari on a Mac, the PMs go through blank. Chrome/Mac seems to work fine.

And thanks for all your work. I know labors of love can be more time-consuming than anticipated.

Cheers!

• CMSkier
  • [CMSkier]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
07 Jan 2015 19:14 #223480 by CMSkier
The Tay posting errors are making this software almost unusable. A 5 second post gives a timeout error. - 6 tryes. Can't logout to try logging back in, even after quitting my browser and restarting. This is ridiculous.

More
25 Feb 2015 20:06 #224014 by Jonn-E
CM
Delete the browser cookie for this website and then try again, that's been solving a lot of problems.

• dub_xion
  • [dub_xion]
More
26 Feb 2015 08:11 #224019 by dub_xion
Replied by dub_xion on topic Re: TAY software upgrade - Feedback requested!
This may have been mentioned with all the discussion on this topic, but with the amount of traffic on this forum, it might be possible to secure sponsorship from a business/businesses form migration of the forum to a new platform. Kind of like BD sponsoring MountainProject.com's mobile app. Or do some fundraising here on the site from users.

I know this would a big project, but there are companies who do this kind of thing and can make it smooth, and there might be someone willing to sponsor it. Just a thought.

• silaswild
  • [silaswild]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
28 Jul 2015 23:07 #224688 by silaswild
Replied by silaswild on topic Re: TAY software upgrade - Feedback requested!

This is the only place where I often get a really slow load and regular 500 and 404 codes.  Any connection to the need at hand or is it just me?

Interesting. TAY loads way faster for me (desktop and phone, but especially phone) than any other website, especially faster than Facebook. The three photo limit, and small photo size limit, along with tight, simple php code thanks to Charles are the main reason for the speedy response. Current software development often uses hastily written bloated code to get new bells and whistles to market before the competition, and count on the servers and receivers of information to have speedy processors. Facebook and FOAC sites are great examples. Please don't "improve" the TAY site this way! End of grouchy old man rant. :)

• Schwerkraft
  • [Schwerkraft]
More
05 Oct 2015 16:50 #224844 by Schwerkraft
Replied by Schwerkraft on topic Re: TAY software upgrade - Feedback requested!
Thanks for running TAY. While touring in Europe I came across this site: www.camptocamp.org/

The English version of it has some translation challenges making it a bit hard to get around, but once I got the hang of it, I appreciated the guidebook functionality and how condition/trip reports referenced those and vice versa.

Here is an example: Go to the website --> Menu "Guidebook/Map" --> "Routes" --> "Search" (make sure to click on search) --> into summit: type "Mount Rainier", you get a overview of the routes. Clicking on routes gives then more detail, including recent trip and condition reports, etc.

Rainier is pretty weak on info, but if you look at Mont Blanc it shows what is possible:
www.camptocamp.org/routes/list/snam/Mont+BLanc

And here is a random route on Mont Blanc:
www.camptocamp.org/routes/603914/fr/mont...rhemes-saint-georges

Not sure if this is the right direction, but I figured I will post in case you want to take a look. TAY is simple, fast and very searchable. Sometimes simpler is better.

• slacker898
  • [slacker898]
More
07 Apr 2016 11:51 #226783 by slacker898
Replied by slacker898 on topic Re: TAY software upgrade - Feedback requested!
Full RSS capability both for each individual forum and for the message board as a whole would be very nice, so the site could be looked at in flipboard, or any other rss reader.