REI appeals Monika's case

• Joedabaker
  • [Joedabaker]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
22 May 2013 09:08 #209768 by Joedabaker
Replied by Joedabaker on topic Re: REI appeals Monika's case
Just saw the report online. My jaw was dropped by the end saying that their branded products meet or exceed manufacture quality.
So if that is the case why don't they stand behind the products instead of pawning the responsibility off on the manufacture. All large companies get a black eye now and then. Boeing planes fall out of the sky, Brakes fail on car, but they take responsibility for the action rather than throwing it on the manufacture that they brand.
This is so lawyered up it is hard for REI to turn back without major financial repercussions. I'm dropping their credit card so I don't support their weak kneed approach to Quality Guaranteed!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• CascadeClimber
  • [CascadeClimber]
More
22 May 2013 09:16 #209769 by CascadeClimber
Replied by CascadeClimber on topic Re: REI appeals Monika's case
I have no pity for, nor do I accept any claim of 'lack of control' by REI.

They chose their insurance carrier, their legal department approved the insurance contract, they chose to have their bike cheaply made by a string of subcontractors in China.

How convenient that REI has crafted a comfy little nest for themselves where they can, outrageously, claim to be a victim here.

The downstream effects of allowing companies to evade liability by off-shoring manufacturing terrifies me. Is GM somehow off the hook for failures in their cars due to parts they didn't actually manufacture? Oh, sorry that airbag went off randomly and killed you. Please make sure to sue Superfriendly Happybag of Szechuan for that. Thanks.

In my book if you signed the contract to manufacture, the insurance contract, and sold the product under your own name and brand, YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE for the product and any defects/damages.

While I accept Steve's legal expertise, I believe that the only way to effect change here is to attack REI's revenue. A handful of angry outdoor enthusiasts trying to effect change in tort law is tilting at windmills. If you want to get traction, put that pic of Monika on a picket sign and educate people outside REI stores about the facts in this case. A week of covering every store in western Washington would, I think, achieve something.

More
22 May 2013 13:42 #209773 by jtack
Replied by jtack on topic Re: REI appeals Monika's case
Sign me up for a shift!

More
22 May 2013 16:34 #209774 by davidG
Replied by davidG on topic Re: REI appeals Monika's case
5/26/2011, from REI to ErikT, above ...

...   "We trust that when this case is resolved, people will see that we have acted responsibly and in a manner consistent with REI’s enduring values. " ...

Libby Catalinich

Director, Corporate Communications

REI - Recreational Equipment, Inc.

• Gregg_C
  • [Gregg_C]
More
22 May 2013 17:06 #209777 by Gregg_C
Replied by Gregg_C on topic Re: REI appeals Monika's case

5/26/2011, from REI to ErikT, above ...

...   "We trust that when this case is resolved, people will see that we have acted responsibly and in a manner consistent with REI’s enduring values. " ...

Yea, like pulling out all the stops to try and get the story killed.  I guess freedom of the press is not one of their "enduring values".    Despite their best heavy handed efforts, the story was aired.  Kudos to KOMO for standing up to bullying tactics.

• andyski
  • [andyski]
More
23 May 2013 13:53 #209789 by andyski
Replied by andyski on topic Re: REI appeals Monika's case

Yea, like pulling out all the stops to try and get the story killed.  I guess freedom of the press is not one of their "enduring values".    Despite their best heavy handed efforts, the story was aired.  Kudos to KOMO for standing up to bullying tactics.

What evidence do you have of REI bullying KOMO? Did I miss something?