Home > Forum > Sport with Smuggest Participants

Sport with Smuggest Participants

• gravitymk
  • [gravitymk]
More
29 Jan 2011 16:25 #197114 by gravitymk
Replied by gravitymk on topic Re: Sport with Smuggest Participants
I would say that the fixie hipster crowd in VV apparel actually trumps the roadies in lycra.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• oftpiste
  • [oftpiste]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
29 Jan 2011 18:42 #197118 by oftpiste
Replied by oftpiste on topic Re: Sport with Smuggest Participants
we missed ya, poopiepants!

I wish I could have joined in the smugfest but I came down with the flu and have been projectile vomiting and pooping my pants for the last few days.
However I do feel smug about getting the flu when ski conditions are so bad.

• Splitter
  • [Splitter]
More
30 Jan 2011 06:20 #197121 by Splitter
Replied by Splitter on topic Re: Sport with Smuggest Participants
Wow, the ignorance of the masses is truly amazing. 3 days of typing and no one is even close. The obvious winner in this category is "online blogging snarky on-upsmanship". No physical conditioning is required but it does require very little intelligence. The successful player has an innate ability to ignore vast areas of common ground and focus on trivial details in order to declare "I'm the coolest". Any of the clothing/accessories mentioned above may be worn while playing. TAYers are not just bad skiers, they are amateurs in general, I'm going back to CC.com.

• Joedabaker
  • [Joedabaker]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
30 Jan 2011 09:41 #197126 by Joedabaker
Replied by Joedabaker on topic Re: Sport with Smuggest Participants

TAYers are not just bad skiers, they are amateurs in general, I'm going back to CC.com.

You'll be back, it's hard to look away from a train wreck in the making.
If you do, since it's about sharing common ground, maybe we can hook up some day and you can give me a lesson on how to ski.
Oh that's right you board, so obviously skiing was to difficult for you.
Hows that for smug? ;)

• Snow Bell
  • [Snow Bell]
More
30 Jan 2011 11:05 #197128 by Snow Bell
Replied by Snow Bell on topic Re: Sport with Smuggest Participants

Hows that for smug?  ;)

Wow,..i...win... this category "online blogging snarky on-upsmanship"...it does require very little intelligence. ...has an innate ability to ignore vast areas of common ground and focus on trivial details in order to declare "I'm the coolest". {you all suck}... I'm going back to CC.com.

Sorry Joe, I'd give it to Splitter.  His is much smugger. 
No one splits so smug as the Splitter!'

so cool 8)

• Snow Bell
  • [Snow Bell]
More
30 Jan 2011 11:21 #197130 by Snow Bell
Replied by Snow Bell on topic Re: Sport with Smuggest Participants
Hey, maybe the Brit can slip into the Spliter's slot since he split?

How does this banishment thing work out anyway?
Are there after-lives?

It's cool if I talk to him if I see him on the hill and stuff right?

Can we sacrifice other members as reciprocity to resurrect more favored members?
(If so; what would be the metrics and ratio to determine trade value?)

If you get banned for a bit and then return, are you entitled to be smug about it or is there smugness demerits? 

...I would expect to feel smug about it, probably.

• Kneel Turner
  • [Kneel Turner]
More
30 Jan 2011 12:07 #197133 by Kneel Turner
Replied by Kneel Turner on topic Re: Sport with Smuggest Participants
My goal is to be put on "TAY paid administrative leave".  And then actually go skiing instead of just sitting here feeling sorry for myself that La Nina has forsaken me.  :'(

Now THAT would be smug!

• Splitter
  • [Splitter]
More
30 Jan 2011 15:04 #197135 by Splitter

maybe we can hook up some day and you can give me a lesson on how to ski.
Oh that's right you board, so obviously skiing was to difficult for you.
Hows that for smug? ;)

After getting tired of snowshoes and before splitboards, I actually tried AT, so there is a good chance I could give you some pointers.
smugfest? ;)

• oftpiste
  • [oftpiste]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
31 Jan 2011 08:50 #197147 by oftpiste

Are there after-lives?

There is life after TAY. I skied with my youngest son and Brit on Saturday. He is fine, for all that miss him so, and sends his love.

• Scotsman
  • [Scotsman]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
31 Jan 2011 09:03 #197150 by Scotsman
Replied by Scotsman on topic Re: Sport with Smuggest Participants

Hey, maybe the Brit can slip into the Spliter's slot since he split?

Are there after-lives?

Can we sacrifice other members as reciprocity to resurrect more favored members?
(If so; what would be the metrics and ratio to determine trade value?)

If you get banned for a bit and then return, are you entitled to be smug about it or is there smugness demerits? 

Pam and I skied with him( PNWBrit) at Baker on Sunday and he is frankly quite insufferable about his TAY banishment. He is wearing it like a badge of honor and you have to listen to his stories of his dules with RonJ and Marcus on every goddamn chairlift ride. It has given him celebrity status and he is very, very smug about it.
I miss the little fucker and get quite emotional thinking about it.......

• Scotsman
  • [Scotsman]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
31 Jan 2011 09:40 #197151 by Scotsman

My goal is to be put on "TAY paid administrative leave".  And then actually go skiing instead of just sitting here feeling sorry for myself that La Nina has forsaken me.  :'(

Now THAT would be smug!

You need to stop yur whining and go to Baker BC where conditions are actually very good.
I now feel very very smug after telling you that.

• Scotsman
  • [Scotsman]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
31 Jan 2011 09:50 #197152 by Scotsman

Sorry Joe, I'd give it to Splitter.  His is much smugger. 
No one splits so smug as the Splitter!'

so cool 8)

Sorry Joe I agree with Snowbell.
Splitter is definitely the smuggest of us all.
To be truly smug you have to actually believe you are superior....we are amatuers at smugness as we can never get to that level of self absorbtion.

Plus he's a memer of the Ronj Mutual Appreciation Society ... and they are the smuggest of all.

• Splitter
  • [Splitter]
More
31 Jan 2011 20:36 #197195 by Splitter
I, Splitter, smugliest of them all!!!

Thanks for the votes. It is nice to excel at something, this may not have been what I was aiming for.

• arcticcat2
  • [arcticcat2]
More
02 Feb 2011 20:09 #197293 by arcticcat2
Replied by arcticcat2 on topic Re: Sport with Smuggest Participants
Skiers are not even on the list.

Snomobilers are the nicest
Rock climbers are the meanest
Bc skiers are somewhere in the middle

I wouldn't know about road cyclist since I live no where near pavement

• Jim Oker
  • [jim_oker]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
02 Feb 2011 23:09 #197305 by Jim Oker
Replied by Jim Oker on topic Re: Sport with Smuggest Participants

To be truly smug you have to actually believe you are superior....

Reading this thread, it's a bit interesting wondering just who thinks they're superior to whom... ::)
(and yes, there's irony even there...)

• Scotsman
  • [Scotsman]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
02 Feb 2011 23:24 #197306 by Scotsman

Reading this thread, it's a bit interesting wondering just who thinks they're superior to whom... ::)
(and yes, there's irony even there...)

Did you feel smug after writing that Jimmy? ::)

More
03 Feb 2011 01:32 - 03 Feb 2011 01:51 #197312 by Lisa
Replied by Lisa on topic Re: Sport with Smuggest Participants
Maybe this is better suited for one of the many other threads in which you have recently embellished in. Forgive me for letting loose here where I have silenced my thoughts and remarkes until now.

I just wonder, can you get a life Scotsman and quit with the argumentative debates in which you engage. 

Can you simply get on and pipe in with ski reports instead of your daily onslaughts of issues that you feel you need to prevail in and put others down?
Come on, you have better things to do at work and in life than be bashing this or that no???

I am tired of reading your rants!  I suppose I could negate the reading of such onslaught, but it is endless, all day long there is a new subject in which you engage with a negative undertone.

You are inconsiderate to others for the most part and in a sick way enjoy it.  It's bewildering at best.  What gives?

People are dying in the mountains, their bodies seeking recovery and you remain your instigative self, grow the F up! 

When someone close to you dies and another and another with only years or months between you will see such bantering is useless air space and some of us grow tired of it, not amused at all, in fact heads are shaken wondering the point you attempt to make in this short game we call life.  If you feel the need to bash this and that, create a blog, it's free and you can rant all day.

This may not be the thread in which to address this, but after months of reading you rants and rudeness, I find no other convenient time than this to say it. 

Be above the expected and do not reply, change your intentions.

• oftpiste
  • [oftpiste]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
03 Feb 2011 08:12 #197323 by oftpiste
Just so you know, Scotsman has done his share of stepping up in dire circumstances. He may like to debate, but he's a good and compassionate soul.

• gravitymk
  • [gravitymk]
More
03 Feb 2011 08:24 - 03 Feb 2011 09:39 #197325 by gravitymk
Replied by gravitymk on topic Re: Sport with Smuggest Participants

Just so you know, Scotsman has done his share of stepping up in dire circumstances. He may like to debate, but he's a good and compassionate soul.

X2

• Scotsman
  • [Scotsman]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
03 Feb 2011 08:45 #197328 by Scotsman
I understand your emotions Lisa given the current circumstances and we'll leave it at that for a while.

More
03 Feb 2011 11:32 #197348 by ron j
Replied by ron j on topic Re: Sport with Smuggest Participants

Maybe this is better suited for one of the many other threads in which you have recently embellished in. Forgive me for letting loose here where I have silenced my thoughts and remarkes until now.
I just wonder, can you get a life Scotsman and quit with the argumentative debates in which you engage.
Can you simply get on and pipe in with ski reports instead of your daily onslaughts of issues that you feel you need to prevail in and put others down?
Come on, you have better things to do at work and in life than be bashing this or that no???
I am tired of reading your rants! I suppose I could negate the reading of such onslaught, but it is endless, all day long there is a new subject in which you engage with a negative undertone.
You are inconsiderate to others for the most part and in a sick way enjoy it. It's bewildering at best. What gives?
People are dying in the mountains, their bodies seeking recovery and you remain your instigative self, grow the F up!
When someone close to you dies and another and another with only years or months between you will see such bantering is useless air space and some of us grow tired of it, not amused at all, in fact heads are shaken wondering the point you attempt to make in this short game we call life. If you feel the need to bash this and that, create a blog, it's free and you can rant all day.
This may not be the thread in which to address this, but after months of reading you rants and rudeness, I find no other convenient time than this to say it.
Be above the expected and do not reply, change your intentions.

For the record, this is Ron J the TAY member, not “Ron J the moderator” commenting here. And like Lisa (and many others on the forum) I am just going to state my views and then back off.
I find it ironic that the initial folks that defended Chris against Lisa’s allegations are the members of the “bring back the brit” fan club (which seems self defeating, to me, by human nature, through its own mission statement… but that’s another topic).

Nonetheless, I am impressed by Lisa’s courage in posting her views on this matter, knowing (if past history is any indication), that she would likely be chewed up and spit out and, if at all possible, publically humiliated. FWIW, Lisa, I think the ridiculousness of the topic of this thread makes it the perfect place for your comments.

My hat is off to Lisa for publically stating the views of many “reports to moderator” that Marcus and I receive; the views of many PMs that we both get and the views of the countless people that I run into personally who ask me why we allow such behavior on the forum. In my opinion Lisa has clearly voiced the viewpoint of the “silent majority”, the folks that, one-by-one, decide to wash their hands of the seemingly ceaseless arguing and bullying and go elsewhere for their “fix” of backcountry skiing info.

I do not disagree with a word of this. My personal experiences with Chris have been stellar and he has been a perfect, caring, considerate, compassionate gentleman when face to face. To my bewilderment, however, on this forum he has not been so kind to me, as others have noted.

Another commented was made earlier, something to the effect of “If you don’t like it don’t read it”… a comment that I have made to many myself.
But here’s the thing:
TAY is a backcountry skier’s forum. I believe its purpose is to share information about topics of a general skiing nature and to occasionally debate the pros and cons of a particular ski related matter. When topics begin to appear with an obvious purpose of generating entertainment value for someone, or a small “inner group” who’s sole purpose of being here is to ascertain how much discourse and pandemonium they can stir up for their own entertainment value, then the real value of the forum to the “rank and file” starts to become lost in the huge wake of irrelevance.

In my humble opinion if this type of self serving entertainment is allowed to continue unchecked by its moderators, the landscape of TAY will become permanently changed. I fear many of the valuable contributors will then go elsewhere in search of a more peaceable environment, the board owner will then eventually decide that the effort is not worth the huge economic gain he realizes ::); then the TAY resource that has come to be a staple to many of us will dwindle and go away.

Are there any other opinions on this matter besides “bring back the brit”?

• Scotsman
  • [Scotsman]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
03 Feb 2011 12:00 #197351 by Scotsman
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Strike while the iron and emotions are hot, eh Ron. ;)
I am unrepentant but glad to be a scource of catharsis in this terrible time.
My sympathy to Lisa and all the friends and family of the missing skier and the terrible pain they must be feeling.
Carry on.

• markharf
  • [markharf]
More
03 Feb 2011 16:18 #197376 by markharf
Replied by markharf on topic Re: Sport with Smuggest Participants
I am with Lisa, although I've mostly given up bothering to say so because once I've made my feelings known there seems little point to repeating endlessly. Thanks, Lisa.

I also share Ron's fears for the website. I've seen it happen to other sites, and as far as I can tell the process is well under way here.

My opinions alone. Others certainly see things differently.

My condolences to all who've suffered loss this week. "Death is the hard song. We only sing it once, and none of us gets it exactly right."

Mark

More
03 Feb 2011 16:38 #197379 by Pete A
Replied by Pete A on topic Re: Sport with Smuggest Participants
not that it matters but count me in for agreeing with what Lisa, Ron, and Mark wrote.

i'm one of those who has grown rather sick and tired of the daily piling up of new inflammatory topics just to try and get a rise out of people.

More
03 Feb 2011 16:43 #197380 by ron j
Replied by ron j on topic Re: Sport with Smuggest Participants

not that it matters but count me in for agreeing with what Lisa, Ron, and Mark wrote.
i'm one of those who has grown rather sick and tired of the daily piling up of new inflammatory topics just to try and get a rise out of people.

It matters a great deal. Thanks for stepping up, Pete.
Anyone else?

• James Wells
  • [Travertine]
More
03 Feb 2011 16:57 #197382 by James Wells
Replied by James Wells on topic Re: Sport with Smuggest Participants

Anyone else?

Yes, but perhaps it's the wrong time to discuss.

• Charlie Hagedorn
  • [trumpetsailor]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
03 Feb 2011 17:02 #197383 by Charlie Hagedorn
Replied by Charlie Hagedorn on topic Re: Sport with Smuggest Participants
Agreed, with Travertine.

• oftpiste
  • [oftpiste]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
03 Feb 2011 17:11 #197386 by oftpiste
Seeing as the consensus seems to be this is not suitable discussion for the moment, I have just deleted and saved my response for the future, though I don't really know when an appropriate time might be to post it.

More
03 Feb 2011 17:28 #197388 by davidG
Replied by davidG on topic Re: Sport with Smuggest Participants
yeah, I'm there, too, Ron.   just seems too inconsequential for me right now, though.

• Marcus
  • [Marcus]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
03 Feb 2011 17:44 #197391 by Marcus
Replied by Marcus on topic Re: Sport with Smuggest Participants
There's a better day than today to do this -- I'm going to lock this and we can talk about it at a later time.