Home > Forum > Censorship etc... have at it

Censorship etc... have at it

• trees4me
  • [trees4me]
More
22 Jan 2010 14:46 #190090 by trees4me
Replied by trees4me on topic Re: Censorship etc... have at it
^^^

I don't want to look at that many pictures when it's someone I KNOW that did the trip...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Scotsman
  • [Scotsman]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
22 Jan 2010 14:58 #190091 by Scotsman
Replied by Scotsman on topic Re: Censorship etc... have at it
We are so much better than these TGR people and out trip reports about Muir so much more creative and higher quality.
See this rubbish.
www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.p...ighlight=China+Video

• PNWBrit
  • [PNWBrit]
More
22 Jan 2010 15:02 #190092 by PNWBrit
Replied by PNWBrit on topic Re: Censorship etc... have at it
OMFG!

The scrolling will it never end!

You bastard!

More
22 Jan 2010 15:05 #190093 by Andy
Replied by Andy on topic Re: Censorship etc... have at it
Alrighty then Scotsman, you asked for open feedback so here's my honest, non-boyscout opinion:

For chrissake sake, PNW and Scotsman, get a job ... or if you have one already, get another one.  Seems to me that you two are going on and on about nothing and being a gigantic pain in the ass for the moderators.  Not seeing waves of support out in the TAY community for your whining and if it causes, TAY to shut down b/c nobody is willing to step up and do the work necessary ... then wouldn't you feel a little bit like an idiot??  The site owner has already politely invited you to put your money where your mouth is and you've been found wanting so just stop and let it go. Sweet baby jesus, I hope it snows soon.  

• Scotsman
  • [Scotsman]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
22 Jan 2010 15:07 #190094 by Scotsman
Now actually do yourself a favor and watch this one.
I found it on TGR and it moved me.

BUT we are so much more creative on TAY and this is the bestest site in the whole world because we're so nice.

• Scotsman
  • [Scotsman]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
22 Jan 2010 15:08 #190095 by Scotsman

Alrighty then Scotsman, you asked for open feedback so here's my honest, non-boyscout opinion:

For chrissake sake, PNW and Scotsman, get a job ... or if you have one already, get another one.  Seems to me that you two are going on and on about nothing and being a gigantic pain in the ass for the moderators.  Not seeing waves of support out in the TAY community for your whining and if it causes, TAY to shut down b/c nobody is willing to step up and do the work necessary ... then wouldn't you feel a little bit like an idiot??  The site owner has already politely invited you to put your money where your mouth is and you've been found wanting so just stop and let it go.  Sweet baby jesus, I hope it snows soon.  

Personal attack, personal attack, personal attack
Moderators please delete and sanction!!!
If you don't like it, don't read it.

I think your very uncivil

More
22 Jan 2010 15:12 #190096 by ron j
Replied by ron j on topic Re: Censorship etc... have at it

For chrissake sake, PNW and Scotsman, get a job ... or if you have one already, get another one.  Seems to me that you two are going on and on about nothing and being a gigantic pain in the ass for the moderators.  Not seeing waves of support out in the TAY community for your whining and if it causes, TAY to shut down b/c nobody is willing to step up and do the work necessary ... then wouldn't you feel a little bit like an idiot??  The site owner has already politely invited you to put your money where your mouth is and you've been found wanting so just stop and let it go. Sweet baby jesus, I hope it snows soon.  

Maybe ya oughtta blow the whistle on this guy, Scotty, report him to the moderators and see what happens. That should fix him :)

• Scotsman
  • [Scotsman]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
22 Jan 2010 15:14 - 22 Jan 2010 15:43 #190097 by Scotsman

Maybe ya oughtta blow the whistle on this guy, Scotty, report him to the moderators and see what happens. That should fix him :)

I just did twice, I used the moderator button like I'm supposed to.
I guess its Ok to make a personal attack on me or PNWBrit?

Edit to Add: sound like a thinly veiled threat to me Ron: are you suggesting I won't be afforded the same treatment by the moderators that others would because I'm a critic of some of TAY's views and especially it's moderation.
Who policeeth the policemen.???

More
22 Jan 2010 15:19 #190098 by Pete A
Replied by Pete A on topic Re: Censorship etc... have at it
...this thread is useless without pics :)

• Marcus
  • [Marcus]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
22 Jan 2010 15:20 #190099 by Marcus
Replied by Marcus on topic Re: Censorship etc... have at it
I'll respectfully suggest that you take a step back from the keyboard.  I've already said here that I was a bit heavy-handed in my moderation of the Skyline thread.  This is a new job for me and I'm willing to learn and make mistakes along the way.

I'm not going to moderate this thread -- wouldn't that be ironic, to "censor" a thread about censorship?  I'll ask, instead, that we continue to have this discussion and refrain from attacking the poster and instead debate the ideas here.  Honestly, this is the way that (in hindsight) I would have preferred to handle Z-bo's posts, and I'm sorry that I did not.

• Scotsman
  • [Scotsman]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
22 Jan 2010 15:24 - 22 Jan 2010 15:34 #190100 by Scotsman

I'll respectfully suggest that you take a step back from the keyboard.  I've already said here that I was a bit heavy-handed in my moderation of the Skyline thread.  This is a new job for me and I'm willing to learn and make mistakes along the way.

I'm not going to moderate this thread -- wouldn't that be ironic, to "censor" a thread about censorship?  I'll ask, instead, that we continue to have this discussion and refrain from attacking the poster and instead debate the ideas here.  Honestly, this is the way that (in hindsight) I would have preferred to handle Z-bo's posts, and I'm sorry that I did not.

Who are you refering to Marcus in stepping back, me or Andy.
I'm having a discussion and posting examples of what I think illuminates the hubris on TAY that I think is a problem.I am abiding by the rules and Andy is not.

Edit to add: isn't Andy the guy you went to Argentina with this summer or maybe that was another friend called Andy.?

• PNWBrit
  • [PNWBrit]
More
22 Jan 2010 15:38 #190101 by PNWBrit

I'm not going to moderate this thread

Really?

In that case....

put your money where your mouth

Let's go sunshine.

More
22 Jan 2010 15:44 #190102 by ron j

I just did twice, I used the moderator button like I'm supposed to.

That button is only supposed to be pressed once per percieved violation. You know that, Scotty.
When you press it more than once it singles you out as a habitual complainer and trouble maker and I know you would want to avoid that at all costs.

• Scotsman
  • [Scotsman]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
22 Jan 2010 15:49 #190103 by Scotsman

That button is only supposed to be pressed once per percieved violation. You know that, Scotty.
When you press it more than once it singles you out as a habitual complainer and trouble maker and I know you would want to avoid that at all costs.

No I did not know that Ron, I thought it was like a panic button that you had to keep pressing while under personal attack until the threat was removed. My bad.
Im learning so much about TAY today that I didnt know.

More
22 Jan 2010 15:54 #190104 by ron j

No I did not know that Ron, I thought it was like a panic button that you had to keep pressing while under personal attack until the threat was removed. My bad.
Im learning so much about TAY today that I didnt know.

We're all learning here, aren't we. ;)

• Scotsman
  • [Scotsman]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
22 Jan 2010 15:57 #190105 by Scotsman

We're all learning here, aren't we. ;)

I hope so Ron, I really hope so. There's a lot a people on TAY that need to learn not to be hypocrites and smug, self congratulatory jerks.

• Keith_Henson
  • [Keith_Henson]
More
22 Jan 2010 16:05 #190106 by Keith_Henson
Replied by Keith_Henson on topic Re: Censorship etc... have at it
Oh glory. I return from a day of continual face shots at Brighton to see all of this!

I am convinced that the serious lack of snow in the PNW has everyone on edge...

My comment is this:

the TOS serves as the basis for censoring/deleting posts. It is an agreement between the site admin and poster and provides the framework from which one constructs the posts. This is what protects us from arbitrary censorship. If it violates the TOS then it is subject to deletion. Shame on the poster. If it does not violate the TOS and is deleted, shame on the administrators.

This is not a TAY specific opinion.

I have met so many wonderful people through the TAY website and I thank Charles etal, once again, for providing this wonderful forum.

More
22 Jan 2010 16:06 #190107 by ron j

I hope so Ron, I really hope so. There's a lot a people on TAY that need to learn not to be hypocrites and smug, self congratulatory jerks.

Strange. I cannot think of one person I've met on TAY that fits that description... including you :)
I suppose we all see what we're looking for, eh?

• Scotsman
  • [Scotsman]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
22 Jan 2010 16:37 - 22 Jan 2010 16:44 #190109 by Scotsman

Strange. I cannot think of one person I've met on TAY that fits that description... including you :)
I suppose we all see what we're looking for, eh?

Ron , none of us are hypocrites and self congratulatory jerks ALL the time but sometimes the wonderful people of TAY can be ( including me) especially when views are being expressed that are critical or against ones belief system.
My criticism of TAY had been fairly consistent if you check the record so none of this is new.
Since this is unmoderated I'll be honest.
I love this site and respect Charles for what he accomplished. Marcus, I consider a friend and a marvellous person and have a special bond with him due to an event in the past.
However, the self congratulatory tone that was expressed in the Passing the torch thread " and I'm paraphasing," we're the best on the whole interweb, others are noise, we're so civil and nice etc etc, I frankly found fairly sickening.
Then that coupled with a round of censorship over Z-Bo's thread and the name calling and derogatory remarks..," Go to TGR, your bullshit appreciate there "just further , IMV illuminates the contempt some TAYers have for others who do not believe that pseudo civility( and a lot of it is pseudo) and PCness more important that the truth and discussion of wherever the truth lays.
I hate hypocrisy( even though  I'm a hypocrite) and we have people on TAY who post that they can't stand TGR and then post their stuff on it. We have people who tell people, "we don't act that way on TAY and in the same sentence make personal attacks on the critic shrouded by generalization to avoid sanction."
TAY is full of wonderful people, many who are ( or were) my friends who also can at times be hypocrites,bigot, idiots and fools at any given time  but not most of the time ( me included)
There are wonderful people who I've met on TGR, TT TIPS as well.!!!! TAY does not have all the wonderful people.
TAY is a very pleasant place, but IMHO  very static, not dynamic, very controlled and frankly a lot of people, very active in the BC community won't post here as they consider ,as PNWBrit  so eloquently said " that TAYers consider themselves way too precious".

• PNWBrit
  • [PNWBrit]
More
22 Jan 2010 17:19 #190110 by PNWBrit
The (still) really funny thing is how the drama here arising out of one post so exceeds the tiny ripple it would have caused at TGR.

Even Big Steve and Z would have immediately made up and the mistaken ID would have been forgiven.

Fuckit. I'm Headed to the mountains. Even if still slightly intimidated by Andy throwing down all un-boyscout. The baby Jesus line crossed the rubicon if you ask me.

• Big Steve
  • [Big Steve]
More
22 Jan 2010 17:25 - 22 Jan 2010 17:36 #190111 by Big Steve
Replied by Big Steve on topic Re: Censorship etc... have at it

Even Big Steve and Z would have immediately made up and the mistaken ID would have been forgiven.

Okay, but only so long as I don't have to kiss him.

• Brooski
  • [brucejbaker@comcast.net]
More
22 Jan 2010 18:21 #190112 by Brooski
Replied by Brooski on topic Re: Censorship etc... have at it
Wow. My brain hurts. Perhaps this argument/disagreement/flame war should be taken outside. That is, an actual verbal conversation between two individuals over a couple of beers (preferably good beers) might be just the thing.

This reminds me of when I broke up with a girlfriend online in the early days of the internet in 1987. What a mine field of misunderstandings. Never going to happen again.

I love this site and really hate to have this discord harsh my trip. Peace, man.

Bruce

• Scotsman
  • [Scotsman]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
22 Jan 2010 18:41 - 22 Jan 2010 19:25 #190113 by Scotsman

Even if still slightly intimidated by Andy throwing down all un-boyscout. The baby Jesus line crossed the rubicon if you ask me.

Don't you worry Brit. If it's,the Andy I think it is, I can take him if he makes a lunge for you. ;)
Isn't it ironic that the only two people who made personal attacks after the initial drama was Randy and Andy both friends of Marcus??  And Marcus chooses to leave Andy's uncensored and on display because he doesn't want to censor in a thread about censorship.The irony! HHAHAH ;D

Perhaps that makes this thread like the "no picture limit stoke thread" where you can say anything, make personal attacks, etc with impunity. :D  HAHAHAHA. The web we weave!

• silaswild
  • [silaswild]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
22 Jan 2010 20:02 #190116 by silaswild
Replied by silaswild on topic Re: Censorship etc... have at it
Most everyone has left work now for the weekend? I suppose this thread will get little action until Monday morning, when folks don't have to waste personal time responding?

• skykilo
  • [skykilo]
More
22 Jan 2010 20:13 #190117 by skykilo
Replied by skykilo on topic Re: Censorship etc... have at it
Well, the thread says "have at it." And the Crown Royal has me nice and fuzzy. Here are my two cents:
*I <3 ZBO and found his post highly entertaining.
*I doubt he cares much that his post was deleted.
*Scotsman, you sound kinda nancy. Whaa some stuff got deleted!

Have a great weekend, everybody.

• Scotsman
  • [Scotsman]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
22 Jan 2010 20:37 #190118 by Scotsman
Yeah, anytime you little peacock. Name the place ill be there and well see who walks away.
I've always thought you a bit of an idiot with suppressed homosexual tendencies. Never met you but that's what people who know you say.

More
22 Jan 2010 20:39 #190119 by NWBCer
Replied by NWBCer on topic Re: Censorship etc... have at it
Censorship?
Fuggineh! Bring it on. What I like about this site is the civility. My kid can read it. TGR has it's place but in that place there is a lot of absolute shit. I see myself described there as a xenophobic- anti-business yank-hater. I see a hack blogger with absolutely no credibility quoted as a "news source".  Don't get me wrong it's entertaining, informing (some times) and all, but what the hell's wrong with some rules and manners. Would I post on TGR "hey anyone want to stay in my house for a month while I take off?" No f'in way. What the hell is wrong with a little moderation, and further to that - to censor something is a matter of opinion, we all aren't going to have the same opinion...
yikes, let's get over it Scotty. (ps you can still come and stay at my place I booked tickets to yurp tonight) peace, powder brothers and sisters  :) :) :)

• skykilo
  • [skykilo]
More
22 Jan 2010 20:53 #190120 by skykilo
Replied by skykilo on topic Re: Censorship etc... have at it
Well, if your post gets deleted, you can know that I didn't hit the "Report to Moderator" button. Ciao you big, belligerent stud.

• Scotsman
  • [Scotsman]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
22 Jan 2010 20:58 #190121 by Scotsman
Neither did I.
adios, little peacock.

• glenn_b
  • [glenn_b]
More
22 Jan 2010 21:27 #190123 by glenn_b
Replied by glenn_b on topic Re: Censorship etc... have at it
God, this is weird and fun at the same time.  I did think Z-bo a bit overwrought but whatever.  I can handle that.  Tempest in a teapot, anyone?

And since it is unmoderated - Scotsman, any relation to Groundskeeper Willie?