Home > Forum > Crystal 12/18/12

Crystal 12/18/12

More
22 Dec 2012 14:17 #218493 by Griff
Replied by Griff on topic Re: Crystal 12/18/12
Thanks. As always I spoke from my heart, which can be a bit edgy. No disrespect to any and all involved (Boyne, media and so on). Especially bros, both "amateur" and pro. I am just a really strong believer in doing everything you can to see another day of skiing.......

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• powhound
  • [powhound]
More
22 Dec 2012 18:48 #218496 by powhound
Replied by powhound on topic Re: Crystal 12/18/12

I believe you are correct on the other transceivers being on based on the numbers I could see on your Tracker.  According to my manual for the same unit the distances are in meters not feet so the 8 value was saying something more than 25 ft away.

Before deciding to sell the unit maybe give it some practice in a beacon park (maybe even comparing it to other units at the same time).  It took me awhile to learn to use it well and I know if I'd gotten one with more bells and whistles I'd be paralyzed by the complexity.

Thanks for posting the video, makes me really want to think about how to respond to those incidents calmly and productively.

I completely agree. While having a beacon is important, you need to know how to use it. While I wasn't there, and I'm sure in the heat of the moment it was very hectic, I found myself screaming profanities at the screen. So many people think that having a beacon means your safe...not if your partner doesn't know how to use theirs.

That video has as much what not to do, as what to do. Luckily there were enough people around with gear actively probing to successfully rescue the victim.

• freightrainer
  • [freightrainer]
More
22 Dec 2012 19:34 #218498 by freightrainer
Replied by freightrainer on topic Re: Crystal 12/18/12

I completely agree. While having a beacon is important, you need to know how to use it. While I wasn't there, and I'm sure in the heat of the moment it was very hectic, I found myself screaming profanities at the screen. So many people think that having a beacon means your safe...not if your partner doesn't know how to use theirs

I agree - can't stand to watch my own video. When Peter and I started carrying beacons, we would practice around the yard and practiced at the Crystal beacon search area (Thanks Crystal for providing that!) but - you get complacent over time - carrying gear that you are pretty sure you will never have to use.

The beacons were just a stupid distraction in this search since there was only one person buried and she wasn't wearing a beacon. It was a big group skiing out though and it seemed likely that other people were buried.

I can't help but wonder, since Emily was only buried by two feet of unconsolidated snow, If she would have called - could we have heard her?

What didn't happen in this search that would have been valuable, would have been for the searchers to spend a few seconds talking about who we were looking for and how best to proceed.

...hope there isn't a next time but if there is - it will go better.
Oh, and I have also been running my beacon by all the electronics in my house and the Tracker does respond to the shutter on a digital camera and the switch on my bike light. No response to my phone or Contour that I can tell.
See you all in "church"!

More
24 Dec 2012 14:13 #218505 by TimD
Replied by TimD on topic Re: Crystal 12/18/12
I am a Crystal skier who came across this scene at about minute 13 of the video.  Despite being fairly close by it was difficult to figure out exactly what was going on or how to help or stay out of the way if you left your gear at home, like I did (not to be repeated.)  The pictures show what could be seen from above and the size of the fracture. 
I found a link to the interview
www.metacafe.com/watch/hl-60161837/nbc_t...n_cascade_mountains/
I give great credit to freightrainer for stepping up and sharing the video, warts and all. Much can be learned from this incident.
Attachments:

More
15 Jan 2013 15:27 #218670 by crobbs
Replied by crobbs on topic Re: Crystal 12/18/12

I can't help but wonder, since Emily was only buried by two feet of unconsolidated snow, If she would have called - could we have heard her?

thanks for posting that video. i chatted with Emily for quite a while the night of the avalanche. She was screaming the entire time we were looking for her. I was not more than 5 feet away the entire time and heard nothing. she also heard nothing, had no idea anyone was even looking for her. although, i think she may have been listening to music. def pulled earbuds out when we got her out of there.